Pre Through ThreeStrong Start, Strong Finish Education Initiative
Pre through Three (P-3)
- The Alabama First Class Pre-K program is recognized as the nation’s highest quality state-funded pre-kindergarten program by the National Institute for Early Education Research (NIEER).
- Under Governor Ivey’s leadership, investment in First Class Pre-K has grown at an all-time high.
- The W.K. Kellogg Foundation has awarded Alabama with a significant grant to support the launch of the Pre-K through Third Grade Integrated Approach to Early Learning pilot program (“P-3”). The P-3 pilot focuses on leadership, instruction, and assessment to promote student achievement from birth to age eight.
The Alabama Campaign for Grade- Level Reading
- Reading at grade level by the time a student completes third grade is a major educational milestone and a critical component to all other learning in the future.
- Most students who fail to reach this critical milestone falter in the later grades. To ensure that all of Alabama’s third graders are proficient readers by 2022, Governor Ivey created the Alabama Campaign for Grade-Level Reading.
- The “Alabama Campaign for Grade-Level Reading” will focus on five primary areas:
- School Readiness – Promote home-visiting programs which encourage parents to read to their children
- Chronic Absenteeism – Help schools develop best practices to prevent students from missing 15 or more days of school in one academic year
- The Summer Learning Slide – Expand the offering of summertime educational enrichment programs to low-income families
- Parents as First Teachers – Provide access to educational tools to help parents nurture and teach their children at a young age outside of the classroom
- Childhood Poverty – Address health issues and obstacles for low-income children