Mansion Public Rooms
The Alabama Governor’s Mansion was designed in 1907 by T. Weatherly Carter. It was originally the private home of the Ligon family. Since 1951, it has served as the official residence of the Governor and First Lady of Alabama.
The front doors of the Mansion open up to the Reception Hall, which features the central and most impressive architectural feature of the house: the grand staircase. The room has elaborate woodwork and oak floors with cherry and mahogany banding.
The carpeting for the grand staircase was custom designed by Jimmy Sellars in 2013. He used motifs from the elaborate molding as inspiration for his design.
The circa 1900 French crystal wall sconces and chandelier over the staircase originally hung in the Roosevelt Hotel in New Orleans. They were purchased for the Mansion by First Lady Alice Persons in 1951.
Many First Families and their guests have enjoyed meals and fellowship in the Mansion’s Dining Room. The mahogany table and chairs, commissioned for the Mansion in 1959 by First Lady Mary Jo Patterson, were made by Southern Craftsman Company of Andalusia, Ala. The petit point seat covers, which depict coats of arms and symbols associated with Alabama history, were made by the Mountain Brook Chapter of the American Needlepoint Guild.
The sterling silver candelabra, punch cups and tray were made for the USS Alabama, which was christened in 1942 and served in the Pacific Theatre during World War II. The five-piece sterling silver tea set was made in England in 1859. It was purchased for the Mansion in 1939 by First Lady Juliet Dixon
First Lady’s Parlor
Typically, Alabama’s First Lady uses her parlor to meet with organizations from across the country to discuss her agenda. All of her official meetings at the Mansion are conducted in the First Lady’s Parlor.
Contrary to the Governor’s portrait, the First Lady’s portrait hangs throughout their term in the parlor.
The late 19th century gilt framed over mantel mirror is original to the house, and the three-piece girandole set on the mantel appears in photographs from Governor Persons 1951 inaugural reception at the Mansion.
The Drawing Room is used as a family room or den area in the home. Original to the house, the 19th century gilt framed pair of pier mirrors rest on low marble-top tables. The fireplace equipment, wall sconces, ceiling fixtures and gilt framed over mantel mirror are also original to the house. The over mantel mirror matches the mirror in the First Lady’s Parlor. The ebony Steinway grand piano was donated in 1983. Governor Bentley is known for his duets on the piano.
Governors and their families enjoy the sun porch for as a place to relax as well as entertain. Through the windows you can view the secret garden and the Hill House.